- From our dear octogenarian next-door neighbor, who moved into a place with 50 fewer stairs.
- The right color.
- The right size.
- No blood stains.
- In surprisingly good condition thanks to the table pad it wore for decades.
- Crafted in Bristol, Vermont. And who doesn't like Vermont?
- Holds up our food off the floor.
- Doesn't seem to be in danger of collapsing (yet).
- Only a short distance to lug it.
- I didn't have to do the lugging—Husband and my other neighbor did.
So now, as much as we miss our long-time neighbor, who used to stuff newspaper articles into plastic bags and chuck them into the bushes for me, she will always have a place at our table.
What happened to the old table, you ask? Did I put it on Craig's List with the exact ad I threatened to run at the low, low price of $1? Of course not. I did what anybody does around here who values their time: I set it out by the street with a FREE sign and it was gone in 20 minutes. That's how we recycle here in Waltham. Now two families are pretty pleased with themselves. Or maybe one family is pleased with itself and the other is having itself a nice bonfire!